Sunday 18 May 2014

Little Birds Running Wild

 It's about time I showed you how my Little Birds came out of the glaze firing!

Well here they are, a whole flock of Little Birds!
IMG_5131

I have to admit the results of the glaze fire were rather mixed and not as good as I hoped. I'm not sure what went wrong, it's a combination of things including getting to know my kiln, some old glaze not firing right and my trying to be fancy when applying glaze. XD"

But where's the fun if you don't experiment right?

IMG_5165

I wanted to have some with delicate green glaze, I tried one with the usual 3 coats and one I glazed and then wiped back to try and give it a more weathered look. Unfortunately neither worked out, both came out much too pale, I think this was caused by them being in a lower cooler place in the kiln as the same glaze fired fine higher in the kiln.

IMG_5145

This red bird shows the worn back look I was trying to achieve with the green bird better, but I think the red colour is too strong in the end.

IMG_5136

This poor fella was the worst one, The glaze did not fire well at all. >_<"

IMG_5152

Finally a birdy that came out well!

IMG_5143

The gold bummed and gold headed birds are definitely my favourite of the bunch!


IMG_5157


And then there is a plain elegant white glazed bird. I did try and put a little colour to highlight the eye but it was that pale green which didn't fire properly so ah well.

So it has been an interesting experiment, next time I plan to try a few different things to hopefully get better results.

I'd love to know your thoughts on these first attempts tho! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment