Thursday 25 February 2016

Clay Whistle!

I've wanted to try making a clay ocarina for years, this week I finally had a go at the first stage. Making a basic multi-tone clay whistle.

I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to make one and at the end of it, I had a low muffled single tone whistle.

So I looked up more info on the internet and various techniques for making them and today I tried again with a bit more success.

It still wasn't easy but after another hour or so of fiddling I had a working whistle!
Then a bit later I had 2 working whistles!


Clay Whistles

Excuse the sound quality, it's more a reflection of recording on my phone than a fault of the whistles.

For anyone interested in making a clay whistle, I found this site invaluable!
And this guy on youtube was very useful too.

They helped me understand how the whistle works so I could see where I was going wrong.
A lot of trial and error was still involved in making my whistles work but now I've got this far I want to see if I can move on and make a properly tuned ocarina.

No comments:

Post a Comment