Thursday 17 April 2014

Snail Friends

It's no secret, I'm a big fan of snails! I even have a tank of snails on my worktop right now. I've heard them crunching on crispy veggies, seen them mating, had baby snails hatch and even been bitten by a snail! (It tickled! :3) So it's no great surprise the snail has inspired me in my ceramics.

IMG_5007

The snail shell mould is the biggest I've made so far. Being short of plaster I cast it directly from the original clay sculpture rather than using the waste mould method. It's a bit rough and ready, but being a big sculpture it's easier to clean off the blemishes from casting. :)

I'm still experimenting with what to do with the surface of the shell.

I love the idea of plants growing up and through the shell and am pleased with how the cut shell looks.

IMG_5003

It could also make a nice tea light.


On other shells I've experimented with adding texture.

IMG_5009

Next I'm trying out using glaze to highlight the textures.

I'm hoping these snails are the kind you will want to invite into your gardens! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment